Licensure: General InformationNASOE

Professional licensing of operators is a well recognized established practice to develop competency in the profession and trade while maintaining core knowledge.

Have a general question, then please select one of the links to develop a better understanding of licensing and some of the processes that are not easily understood. Should you need further clarification then contact us.


Agency Status to Process Your License and Renewals

What is an Examining Agency? An Examining Agency does not examine or grade a test taker or an examinee, for only National and the exam taker have privilege to see the exams. The Agency examines applications, renewals and documents all the while promoting licensing and process license applications as well as assist National.

In general, an Agency is determined based on criteria including the organizations commitment to licensure, abilities to maintain a network, and commitment to promoting licensure.

An Agency does not have to be an Accredited School or Accredited College. It can be a small business to a large organization.

License applications are available from Examining Agencies and Accredited Schools. Applications can be found at here --> Applications.


Accreditation of a School or College

What is an Accredited School or College? These are schools provide training using National's strict protocols for educational and industrial training programs, course content, technical competency, and use only Certified Instructors.

To be accredited requires an application, and a site visit with fees.

Accredited school has an advantage of full-filling continuing educational requirements to the benefit of the license-holder.


Continuing Educational Requirements

What is required for Continuing Education? To maintain your core competency National requires continuing educational contact-hours in-between renewals starting in 2018. Below is a proposed contact-hour schedule. Contact hours are time spent in-front of the Presenter or lecturer. Presenters, lecturers, instructors, trainers can be from an accredited institution, a school, or corporation, seminar or a manufacturer's technical representative presentation, but the topics must be applicable to the a license they hold.

Not all Presentations, lectures, training, or seminars are equal; therefore, Continuing Education Certificates will be categorized as Approved and Non-Approved. The non-approved (non-credit) are continuing educational certificates that come from organizations that do not have approval from National hence the longer hours. They are divided in two (2) groups:

    1. Non-Credit Continuing Education (Non-Approved), or
    2. Approved Continuing Education*
License Program Approved Contact Hours Non-Approved** Contact Hours
Stationary HP Steam Engineer
Power Engineer
Combined Cycle with CT
Gas Turbine (Simple Cycle)
Chiller Engineer
HTHW Engineer
Low-Pressure Boiler Engineer
Combustion Specialists

*Technology, Technical and Engineering College Course count as contact hours with proof of of attendance in course by college transcript; **Mandatory non-approved contact hours in 2020; *** Either license specific or instructional based.

1.) Students at an Accredited College
2.) Retirees
3.) Professional Engineers
4.) Honorary Life-Time Licenses

If you hold more than one license then the license with the highest contact hours applies. Here is an example:

License-holder has a 3rd Class Stationary HP Steam Engineer's license, which requires 4-hrs per year, and a 2nd Class Chiller license, which requires 3-hrs per year; therefore, the license-holder is only needs to comply to license with the highest number of contact hours, and in this example the license-holder needs only 4-hours per year.

What Must a Continuing Education for Contact Hours have on the certificate:

    1. Sponsor or Issuing Authority,
    2. Authorized Signature,
    3. Date of the Contact-Hours ,
    4. Number of Contact-Hours, and
    5. Title


Examination Sites

Where can you take an Examination? Location of every exam is determined by National. All exam sites are vetted. Sometimes exam sites can have personnel changes that may result in loosing their testing accreditation credentials. Exam sites are throughout the United States of America and Canada. In most cases the exam site is about a one (1) hour drive from the exam taker. In rural or mountain regions the drive time or transportation time maybe up to three (3) hours drive. Finally, their are a few large metropolitan areas that cannot be selected for an exam site either by being institutions being un-vettable or have no interest in being an exam site.

One-time Exam Sites have been held outside of North America but they are exceptions the proctor is personally known to National's staff. Locations have been as far away as Australia to UAE.

Examining Agencies are not by default a hosting site for exams. In fact, they are not allowed, unless they are accredited to host exams. Hosting exams is a privilege and requires creditability. For those examining agency that do have the privilege then the instructors that teach or instruct any topic of a course cannot proctor. The temptation to look at an exam question is too tempting.

All exams and questions are secured and traceable through a Change of Custody.

An exam is nullified when the examinee does not follow instructions. Examinee can request a review by the Commission of Examiners.



Fees: Application, Examination, License, Late Fee, Dropped Fee

What Kind of Fees Are Involved? First, there are standardized Application and Exam Fees. Application fees are just as it implies: a fee associated with assessment and administrative work.

Exam Fees pay for the testing site, proctor, and courier expenses (security of exams). Exam fee are not refundable regardless of the circumstances, and the examinee or candidate must take the exam within a short period of time; otherwise, the exam is returned and the exam fee is forfeited.

Retaking the exam can only be done when 100-days has pasted, and will require another exam fee to retake the exam again.

Once the examinee passes the exam, then a License Fee is required and this License Fee is annualized up to three (3) years.

Renewal fee is done through your Agency. There is no on-line application or on-line renewal form.

Payments are made directly out to the Agency you choose, and not National.


Granting A License Based on Your Jurisdictional Licence

Granting a Licensing? A license from a jurisdiction cannot be readily applied, for not all jurisdictions have equal licensure grades or classes that fit to National's job task orientated classes. However, a jurisdictional license guarantees a license. National will select the a license that best fits the license-holder's experience.

Third-party licenses do not have the same privilege as a jurisdictional license, because of exam site security. However, credit is given to the applicant for holding a third-party license, but an exam will be required.

National does not honor reciprocal licensure.

What is a reciprocal license: A reciprocal license is when an jurisdiction or organization accepts another's license of equal status regardless of experience.


Probationary Licensure

What is Probationary License? A probationary license is a great way to enter the workforce as an operator, or basically a starter license when there is no experience, but they must graduated from an accredited school/college program. An exception to the probationary component is the 2nd Class Low-Pressure Boiler Operator which is limited to no greater than 1.7MMBtu per hour input unsupervised, but they still must graduate from an accredited school/college.

Probie restrictions are the Probie must be supervised directly by a license-holder and not hold a watch unsupervised, and they must accumulate time to qualify to write an exam for the class of license they hold; however, since they passed the exam the employer and supervisor must attest their that the Probie has meet the time requirements to be released from the Probie License certificate.

Probie license can be granted in unusual circumstances. Here is an example: A Dropped License, which is where the person has allowed the license to elapse for years, can be conditionally re-addressed using a Probie license.


Hardships in Maintaining Your License

Got Your Back Program

The Board of Examiners and National (NASOE) Supports our Troops and our licensees that are in financial hardship due to unemployment or other reasons completely out of their control. In recognition of these potential situations the Board of Examiners and NASOE offer active duty (Active-Reservists too!) members including the Coast Guard and our Unemployed licensees our 'Got Your Back' Program.

Our 'Got Your Back Program' is a NO-CHARGE (free) licensure renewal. The program benefits those who are 'out of work' or for justifiable reasons they cannot afford to renew their license such as on active duty pay. We exist to serve you in your profession, not hinder you.


Interested in becoming an Examining Agency, then contact us.

National Association of Stationary Operating Engineers License     National Association of Stationary Operating Engineers ®, A Stationary Engineer License Service™ a Registered Mark
© 2011-2017 All Rights Reserved National Association of Stationary Operating Engineers, Inc.